I just received the last book of my January book haul. Since I don’t subscribe to any book subscription service, and I mostly rely on various online sources and my peers to tell me what’s good, my shopping list- bookwise- is quite curated. I mean, I know I’ll never be able to read as much as I want to, ever. Naturally, to deal with this existential crisis, I am a bit picky. I usually do not buy books that are ‘hitting the shelves this week’ unless it is an installment of a series I am really invested in. So, even though this is my first haul of the year, there are not the latest books in the bookstore. Some of these books have been bought by my husband on his recent visit to Kolkata- of course, with me helicoptering his choices over the phone from setting foot in the store till checkout. Some, I ordered off Amazon.
The haul consists of:
1. Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari- because I loved Sapiens, but got a bit of mixed reviews of this one. Finally, a colleague convinced me of its worth.
2. Into the Water by Paula Hawkins- I hadn’t given this much thought, but I did like The Girl on The Train and I was hoping to read a thriller soon and this popped up on my ‘recommended’ by Amazon, so…
3. Becoming by Michelle Obama- I find this lady, and the Obama couple in general, very admirable. I had been looking forward to reading this, so it finally went from my TBR list to my shelf.
4. Why I am a Hindu by Shashi Tharoor- this was recommended by multiple friends, so I had to check it out. Besides, it was on sale at Crossword!
5. Overstory by Richard Powers- this one is kind of self-explanatory, being a thoroughly acclaimed book. But what really made me buy this was my old English teacher’s gushing review on Goodreads.
I probably will not be reading all these in January, but I hope to get started on a couple soon. I am almost done with Celestial Bodies and I’ll be putting up the review soon.
~Till I write again!~